Today, Tuesday, June 30, U.S. Senator Joe Donnelly welcomed the announcement that Kosciusko County Senior Services in Warsaw, will receive the Enhanced Mobility of Seniors & Individuals with Disabilities Grant from the Indiana Department of Transportation.
The INDOT program is funded by the U.S. Department of Transportation. KCSS will receive $40,000 to replace an outdated van it currently operates to transport elderly and disabled Hoosiers throughout the county. The new van will be a medium transit vehicle equipped with a lift.
Donnelly, who wrote a letter of support for KCSS said, “As a member of the United States Senate Special Committee on Aging, I believe that having the opportunity to remain in one’s home is important to the health and well-being of older Americans. Our seniors deserve a dignified retirement and the peace of mind that basic services like transportation will be available to them to get to a doctor’s appointment or to the grocery store, for example. I am pleased that Kosciusko Community Senior Services will be receiving the Enhanced Mobility of Seniors & Individuals with Disabilities Grant. This grant will enable KCSS to address the needs of its senior and disabled clients while increasing its service level.”
David Neff, executive director of KCSS, said, “This grant will allow us to continue uninterrupted van service in Kosciusko County for seniors who need to get to their medical appointments, pick up prescriptions, and shop for groceries. We provided over 12,000 rides for seniors last year alone, and we look to add even more rides with the addition of a brand new van.”
KCSS will receive a $40,000 grant from INDOT, which is 80 percent of the funding needed. They will receive the remaining 20 percent, a little more than $9,600, from K-21 Foundation. This funding will cover the total cost needed to purchase the new van, which will add to the now four-van fleet.
KCSS provides door-to-door transportation services for those 60 years and older, and special consideration is given to handicapped individuals.
For information on how Senator Donnelly’s office can assist cities, municipalities, and other groups applying for a federal grant, visit www.donnelly.senate.gov/help/grants.