She was born Jan. 20, 1923, in Kosciusko County, Ind., to David J. and Barbara (Hochstetler) Miller. She had spent her entire lifetime in the area. Leona was a homemaker and she cooked at LuAnn Nursing Home for nine years. She also had worked at Wayside Restaurant in Nappanee. She was a member of North Main Street Mennonite Church in Nappanee, and quilted at the Elder Haus for many years. She loved her family very much. She married Harvey Miller on Nov. 8, 1942, in Marshall County, Ind.
She is survived by her husband; nine children: Etta Fern (Wayne) Risser, Elkhart, Ind.; Rosa Elaine Newbry, Goshen, Ind.; Viola Miller, Nappanee; Wayne Alan (Brenda) Miller Elkhart; Larry Lee (Cyndy) Miller, Elkhart; Lanadell (Carl) Helmuth, Adair, Okla.; Joyce Evans, Nappanee; Sherri Lynne (Merle) Alderman, Nappanee; Rhonda Ann (Jim) Bellman, Nappanee; 28 grandchildren; 55 great-grandchildren; two great-great grandchildren; three brothers: Sylvanus (Mary) Miller, Nappanee; Lester (Mary Esther) Miller, Middlebury, Ind.; Homer (Freda) Miller, Nappanee; three sisters, Linda Mae Miller, Nappanee; Clara (Lamar) Hershberger, Nappanee; and Verba (Lonnie) Slabaugh, Nappanee; three sisters-in-law: Norma Miller, Nappanee; Etta Ferne (Dan) Miller-Gingerich of Bellefontaine, Ohio; Rosa Miller, Nappanee; along with many nieces and nephews.
She was preceded in death by her parents; one son: Merlin Ray Miller; two brothers: Gilbert Miller and David Miller Jr.; a sister: Lovina Miler; brother-in-law: Harley Miller; sister-in-law: Mary Miller, and son-in-law: Jim Evans.
Visitation will take place from 2 p.m. to 8 p.m. Friday, Dec. 28, and from 9 a.m to 10 a.m. Saturday, Dec. 29, at Thompson-Lengacher & Yoder Funeral Home, Nappanee. The funeral service will be held at 10 a.m. Saturday, Dec. 29, at North Main Street Mennonite Church in Nappanee. Officiating will be her son-in-law, Carl Helmuth, and Reverend Ruben Chupp from North Main Street Mennonite Church. Burial will follow at South Union Cemetery.
The family requests that Memorial contributions be given to the Elder Haus or to North Main Street Mennonite Church.