Timeline From The Past: Opera House, Steer Inn
From the Files of the Kosciusko County Historical Society
Editor’s note: This is a retrospective article that runs every Monday on InkFreeNews.

Information for this retrospective series is courtesy of the Kosciusko County Historical Society.
January 1958 — Along Ind. 15, 1-1/2 miles north of Silver Lake, the grand opening of a new public dining establishment is now underway, and food is being prepared daily to delight the palate of the most discerning connoisseur.
The new one-half-million-dollar development is known as the Claypool Sales’ Steer Inn.
January 1955 — Human bones have been uncovered at the huge “Indian Mound,” an old landmark at Winona Lake, which Bruce Howe Sr. and other workmen are leveling so that the area can be converted into lots.
The bones were found just 5 feet from the foot of the grave of John M. Hamilton, who died in 1839. Howe believes the bones found are Indian.
1874 — In 1874, the Opera House Block was built in Warsaw somewhat on the order of the Empire Block.
Mrs. Billy Williams had lived on this ground. The old Williams home sat toward the east end of the lot. At the west end of the lot was a frame Presbyterian church built about the time that Robert and Jane Cowan came to town in May 1851. The church was pushed down the street a block, the Williams house was moved away and the opera house block began to take shape.
It had a good hall in the second story capable of seating 1,500 people. Steps went up at the east end. At the top was the ticket booth and to the north the entrance both to the big hall and the gallery. The floor in the main auditorium sloped to the west. The stage was large and a curtain screened it.
The opera house was the showplace of Warsaw for 40 years.
– Compiled by InkFreeNews reporter Lasca Randels