By Liz Shepherd
ELKHART — A new RV campground may soon be created just northwest of Syracuse.
The Elkhart County Commissioners approved a General Planned Unit Development zone map change in the area of CR 29 and CR 56 in Benton Township during an Aug. 21 meeting. The area is in Elkhart County but is less than two miles away from Syracuse’s town limits.
Steve Showalter of Showalter RV in Nappanee was the petitioner who requested the change.
Debra Hughes, senior professional engineer at Surveying and Mapping Inc., said 60% of the 45-acre property would be for campground use, with the remaining 40% for other uses.
“They’re planning for a small office and community center, pickleball courts, swimming pool, a park, and a maintenance building,” said Hughes.
The main point of access to the campground would be through CR 29.
“There’s a lot of people who come into Elkhart County for (RV) service,” said Showalter. “But there’s not really a nice resort-style park around. There’s a clientele of people who want that higher-end experience. It’s a definite need in this area and it would bring in a lot to the economy locally.”
Showalter said he’s met with many of the property’s neighbors to address any concerns about the campground’s potential establishment. He said the primary concern was regarding traffic.