From the Files of the Kosciusko County Historical Society
Editor’s note: This is a retrospective article that runs a few times a month on InkFreeNews.
Aug. 21, 1971 — Flames engulfed the old Winona Inn Hotel after firemen set fire to the building at 7:15 this morning. A famous landmark at Winona Lake, the inn served as a first-class hotel for nearly 60 years.
It was built in 1900 on grounds that used to house horse barns in the 1880s for the race track on the island. Owners of the building, the Winona Christian Assembly, decided to have the building burned to make space for a parking lot.
Aug. 21, 1968 — Extensive plans for remodeling and additional building to expand the facilities of Wagon Wheel Restaurant and Playhouse into a civic cultural center are in the planning stage with the formation of a corporation. The corporation will be known as Wagon Wheel Restaurant and Playhouse Inc.
Three civic-minded businessmen, along with the present owner, Herbert Petrie, form the corporation: Charles Bertsch, Blaine Mikesell and Lawrence Castaldi.
The major project being planned for building within the next few years is a deluxe large motel, with plenty of space that would attract conventions to Warsaw. The motel is to be built just northeast of the present restaurant, where the new U.S. 30 bypass will curve to the north.
Aug. 23, 1967 — The embattled Whitko School Board faced the public last night for the first time since release of a State Board of Accounts audit of school funds showed over-payments and irregularities during the previous tenure of former superintendent Delbert L. Hatton.
During a confused and oft-times hot session, the present board indicated that no actions would be filed by the board as a result of the audit. However, it was indicated that any citizens who wished could file a civil suit for recovery of any money that could be proven refundable.
– Compiled by InkFreeNews reporter Lasca Randels