By Liz Shepherd
WARSAW — A future Uptown Kitchen location will be coming to the Warsaw area.
Full Service Dining Inc., the corporation that oversees Uptown Kitchen’s sole location in Granger, received approval for an alcohol permit during an Aug. 4 Kosciusko County Alcohol and Tobacco Commission meeting.
Granger’s Uptown Kitchen was purchased by Full Service Dining in March. The restaurant is open for breakfast and lunch, serving sandwiches, salads, and gourmet pizzas. Full Service Dining also oversees Papa Vino’s Italian Kitchen, a Mishawaka-based restaurant which will also be getting a location in Warsaw.
Steve Hunter, senior vice-president of operations at Full Service Dining, attended Thursday’s meeting on behalf of Uptown Kitchen. Hunter said Warsaw’s Uptown Kitchen location is currently pending.
“We think that we’re going to be able to expand (Uptown Kitchen’s) concept here in Warsaw,” said Hunter.
Hunter said Uptown Kitchen’s Granger location sells mimosas and also offers space for private events during the evening hours.
The board approved Full Service Dining’s permit for the future Uptown Kitchen location in Warsaw.
Elisabeth Thompson also attended the meeting regarding the renewal of an alcoholic beverage permit that was transferred to her in 2019. The permit has been in escrow since then and is based out of Mentone.
Thompson said she is building a restaurant at 104 S. Broadway St., next to Bell Memorial Public Library. The restaurant, named BBQ on Broadway, will sell barbecue, craft beer and pizza. Thompson showed the board recent pictures of the ongoing construction and said she hopes to have the restaurant open by mid- to late October this year.
State Excise Officer April Tackett said Thompson’s permit will stay in escrow until a final inspection of the restaurant is complete.
The board approved renewing Thompson’s permit.
Ohm Um, a co-owner of Asian Cajun, 658 S. Buffalo St., Warsaw, also attended the meeting for a new beer and wine permit.
Um said the restaurant wasn’t initially planning on offering beer and wine, but had received requests from customers about alcohol. He said Asian Cajun’s former location at 937 N. Detroit St., Warsaw, has been sold to the owners of Yamato’s Steakhouse of Japan.
The board approved the new permit for Asian Cajun.
A permit renewal for Port Winona LLC, which is currently under Jim Zachary’s name, was continued for the fourth time. Zachary, one of Port Winona’s former owners, passed away in August 2021. Tackett said those handling Zachary’s estate have been in contact with the state ATC about the permit. She requested the board continue the renewal to allow the estate holders more time to address the permit.
The following permits with no violations were approved by the board:
- Bar B-Q Bar LLC, doing business as Peterson’s Fish, 1009 S. Huntington St., Syracuse. Beer, wine and liquor – restaurant.
- Claypool Inn, 108 S. Main St., Claypool. Beer, wine and liquor – restaurant.
- Das Restaurant LLC, doing business as The Frog Tavern, 1116 S. Harkless Drive, Syracuse. Beer, wine and liquor – restaurant.
- Farmhouse Kitchen and Catering, 9522 N. 300E, Syracuse. Beer, wine and liquor – restaurant.
- Kelly Jae LLC, doing business as Kelly Jae’s Lakeside, 110 E. Main St., Syracuse. Beer, wine and liquor – river and lake.
- Kiyomi Inc., 404 S. Huntington St., Syracuse. Beer, wine and liquor – river and lake.
- Mac’s Convenience Stores LLC, doing business as Circle K #4702372, 606 N. Main St., North Webster. Beer and wine dealer – grocery store.
- Maxwelton Golf Club Inc., 5721 E. Elkhart County Line Road, Syracuse. Beer, wine and liquor – restaurant.
- McClure Oil Corporation, doing business as McClure Oil #37, 9311 S. SR 15, Silver Lake. Beer and wine dealer – grocery store.
- McClure Oil Corporation, doing business as McClure Oil #55, 311 S. Huntington St., Syracuse. Beer and wine dealer – grocery store.
- The Owl’s Nest LLC, 7369 E. 800N, North Webster. Beer, wine and liquor – catering hall.
- Tippy Dance Hall Marina LLC, doing business as Oswego Mini Mart, 2757 E. Armstrong Road, Leesburg. Beer and wine dealer – grocery store.
The local ATC board’s next meeting will be held at the Kosciusko County Courthouse at 1 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 1.