By Liz Shepherd
WARSAW — A future Italian restaurant in Warsaw was approved for an alcohol permit by the Kosciusko County Alcohol and Tobacco Commission during a July 7 meeting.
Papa Vino’s Italian Kitchen, 2640 Escalade Way, Warsaw, received approval for a three-way permit allowing for beer, wine and liquor sales. Full Service Dining Inc., the corporation overseeing Papa Vino’s locations, obtained one of three new alcohol permits for Kosciusko County during a state auction in April.
Steven Hunter, senior vice-president of Full Service Dining, attended Thursday’s meeting and requested the permit be placed in escrow until final inspection of the restaurant is complete. Hunter said the company hopes to have Warsaw’s Papa Vino’s location open “by this time next year.”
“We’re very excited,” said Hunter.
The board also approved a new alcoholic beverage permit for Port Winona Lake LLC, doing business as Port Winona, 807 E. Canal St., Winona Lake. Alexis and Janet Vanosdol, members of the LLC, attended the meeting. Alexis is also Port Winona’s new owner. Due to the recent change in ownership, Port Winona has been temporarily closed but will reopen once its permit is approved at the state level.
A permit for Port Winona LLC that is currently under Jim Zachary’s name was continued. Zachary, one of Port Winona’s former owners, passed away in August 2021. State Excise Officer April Tackett said Zachary’s permit is separate from the new one the Vanosdols opted to pursue.
A permit transfer for Harry’s Tap & Grill, 132 S. Main St., Milford, was also approved. Lisa and Bobbi Beer, members of the restaurant’s LLC, attended the meeting.
The Beers said they purchased the former Miotto’s Main Street Pizza, re-opening as a bar and grill.
Family Express #84, 1160 Executive Blvd., Warsaw, also was approved for a new alcohol permit. Family Express Corporation obtained one of three new alcohol permits for the county during the state auction to use for the Executive Boulevard location.
The following permits with no violations were approved by the board:
- Family Express Corporation, doing business as 750 S. SR 13, North Webster. Beer and wine dealer – grocery store.
- Garcha G Mart Inc., 400 S. Buffalo St., Warsaw. Beer and wine dealer – grocery store.
- HSB Grill LLC, doing business as Huntington Street Bar & Grill, 704 N. Huntington St., Syracuse. Beer, wine and liquor – restaurant.
- James & Wendy Inc., doing business as Hammer’s Pub & Grub, 104 E. Pickwick Road, Syracuse. Beer, wine and liquor – restaurant.
- King’s Keg, 421 S. Main St., North Webster. Beer, wine and liquor – package store.
- Los Toritos Mexican Restaurant Inc., doing business as Los Toritos, 717 S. Huntington St., Syracuse. Beer, wine and liquor – river and lake.
- Shaffner & Shaffner Ent. Inc., doing business as Recovery Lounge, 2517 E. Center St., Warsaw. Beer, wine and liquor – restaurant.
- Tippecanoe Lake Country Club, 7245 N. Kalorama Road, Leesburg. Beer, wine and liquor – restaurant.
A permit for Elisabeth Thompson was again continued for further investigation. The permit, which was transferred to Thompson in 2019, is in escrow and based out of Mentone. No representatives for the permit attended the meeting.
The local ATC board’s next meeting will be held at the Kosciusko County Courthouse at 1 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 4.