AKRON — During the Tippecanoe Valley School Board meeting held tonight, March 16, a COVID-19 Employee Compensation Resolution was passed.
Due to the recent concern for the coronavirus, Tippecanoe Valley schools will take advantage of a combination of waiver and E-learning days through Friday, April 3. As of right now, classes are scheduled to resume on Monday, April 13, after spring break.
These closures may cause school employees to have their regular work hours reduced or disrupted. The approved resolution allows for school employees, both salary and hourly, to be compensated during this time period. Superintendent Blaine Conley is authorized to make or negotiate changes to pay, benefit and leave policies.
Measures are also being taken to ensure that students who rely on school lunches can still receive food. The corporation will be offering grab-and-go lunches and breakfast for the following morning starting on Wednesday, March 18.
Students can pick up lunches at the following locations from 11 a.m. until 12:30 p.m.:
- Akron Elementary at Door R
- Mentone Elementary at the main entrance
- Tippecanoe Valley High School at the main entrance
The board also accepted a $50,000 Indiana Department of Education’s Digital Learning – Community Advisory grant. This grant will be used to research, select and implement STEM curriculum that directly aligns with the Tippecanoe Valley Community.
In addition, the grant will allow the school will host an Innovative STEM Community Advisory Summit in August. This will feature both school and local business representatives providing input on the STEM curriculum most needed for local students.
The next regular board meeting will be held at 6 p.m. on Monday, April 20.
In other news, the board:
- Accepted two KEYS grants. One grant totaled $728 for Loren Molinari, physical education teacher at Mentone Elementry, to purchase life jackets and flotation belts for swimming instruction. The other grant totaled $877 for Shelly Engle, TVHS language arts teacher, to purchase classical text toolboxes.
- Approved the hiring of Courtney Kindig as instructional assistant at Mentone Elementary, Delta Morgan as cook at TVHS and Susan Criswell as cook at TVHS.
- Approved the extracurricular assignments of Ann Yates as assistant girls’ softball coach at TVHS, Gary Craft as assistant soccer coach at TVMS, Lichelle Parker as assistant track coach at TVHS, Phelix Omondi as head soccer coach at TVMS, Cami Shriver as graduation coach at TVHS, Beth Landis as graduation coach at TVHS and Shelly Engle as FEA sponsor at TVHS.
- Accepted the resignations of Breanna Martin as instructional assistant at Mentone Elementary, Kim Miller as cheer coach at TVMS, Cori Patrick as assistant track coach at TVHS, Gary Craft as Head Soccer Coach at TVMS and Stephanie Anglin as guidance counselor at TVHS.
- Accepted the retirement of Julie Baxter, music teacher at Akron Elementary.
- Accepted the termination of Todd Howard, maintenance worker at TVSC.
- Received an update on the softball field project. Currently, construction is around two weeks behind schedule.
- Approved additions and revisions to the School Board Police regarding evaluation and goals, salary, alcohol and controlled substance testing policy for commercial driver’s license employees and a metal detector policy.