By MICHAEL BERRY
KOSCIUSKO — Michael Berry with Morse Lake Weather compiled date from South Bend, Fort Wayne, Goshen, Milford and more and found the following information.
- We gain 44 minutes of daylight in January
- Average high temperature is 31 degrees.
- Average low temperature is 18 degrees.
- Mean temperature is 24.5 degrees
- Average precipitation: 2.28”.
- Average snowfall: 12”
- Highest temperature was 69 degrees on Jan. 25, 1950
- Lowest temperature was -24 degrees on Jan. 12, 1918
- Skin can freeze in 30 minutes when temperatures are 0 degrees and the wind is 15 mph.
- The coldest New Year’s day was -10 degrees in 1968, the warmest was 55 degrees in 2011.
- Jan. 4, 1780, a major snowstorm hit General Washington’s army in Morristown, NJ.
- Jan. 6, 2005, a severe ice storm produced ice from 0.5″ to 3″ across northern Indiana causing power outages.
- Jan. 12, 2005, a white dense fog caused accidents on the Indiana Toll Road resulting in three fatalities.
- January is the coldest month of the year followed by December.
- Winter cold kills more than twice as many Americans as summer heat.
- The earth is closest to the sun in the winter; the earth’s axis tilts away from the sun creating colder temperatures.
- The Department of Natural Resources recommends 4” of solid ice for safe ice fishing.
- Jan. 25, 1978, the worst blizzard on record hit Indiana on the 25-27th. Up to 20” of snow fell in the central and south with 40” in the north. Wind gusts to 55 mph created snow drifts 10 to 20 feet high.
- The last blizzard warning issued by the National Weather Service was on Feb. 25, 2016.