By Katie Warrener, Children’s Services
WARSAW — Do you have young innovators in the family? We invite all budding builders, engineers, architects, and artists to make it a “Fab Friday” at the public library this summer. Fab Friday is a pop-up makerspace, a place for school-age children to tinker, create, and “Build a Better World” during Summer Reading at the Warsaw Community Public Library. Join us Friday afternoons through July 21 for a rotation of hands-on activities related to STEAM: Science, Technology, Engineering, Art and Design and Math. Just drop in between 3 and 5 p.m. No registration is required.
What can you make at Fab Friday? “Make and take” activities encourage children to use the library’s tools and supplies to create something they can take home and enjoy: a musical instrument, a costume piece, an origami sculpture, to name a few ideas (and children always come up with more!) “Stay and play” activities offer the chance to build and experiment with the library’s reusable materials, and we are constantly adding more. Our building materials come in many forms: magnetic tiles, Velcro balls, electrical circuit kits, and good old plastic bricks. Children can also try their hand at stop-motion animation, build a virtual world in Minecraft, or learn to code.
While Fab Friday has a different theme each week, we also encourage children to bring their own project or agenda and to ask for anything we don’t have out.
● June 23: Music makers! What musical instruments can you make from scratch? Can you make an electrical circuit sing?
● June 30: Minecraft! Take turns playing Minecraft: Education Edition on a library laptop or bring your own device. Express your Minecraft fandom through creative offline activities.
● July 7: The Wonderful Wizard of Oz! Join us in celebrating “A Century of Children’s Lit on the Silver Screen” with an Oz-themed makerspace and movie sing-along.
● July 14: Summer LEGOs! We supply the bricks, you bring the creativity. Build what you like or try one of our challenges.
● July 21: Games galore and puzzles aplenty! Play an old favorite or learn a new classic. We’ll have Minecraft, Ticket to Ride, Catan, Jenga, Perplexus, Rubik’s Cube, and many more.
For complete details on Fab Friday and other Summer Reading activities for children, visit here, follow “WCPL’s Kids Corner” on Facebook or contact the Children’s Desk at (574) 267-6011, option 5.