WARSAW — Friday, April 22, is Earth Day and KC Recyling Depot is asking people to take the “Zero Waste Challenge.” The challenge is going one day without making trash. Can you do it?
Think about all the trash created day to day. On Earth Day the goal is to try to make no waste. Here’s a few tips from the Recycling website on how it can be done:
- Use a reusable bag for shopping.
- Eliminate the plastic bottle – Use reusable cups and mugs.
- Just say no! Buy what you need, need what you buy. Don’t take a bag if you don’t need one.
- Recycle and reuse as much as you can.
- No junk food packages – rarely are junk food packages recyclable.
- Eat an apple! Snack on bulk foods purchased at the grocery store, with your own carry-out container.
- Compost that apple core and other organic wastes.
- Eliminate paper throwaways; use cloth napkins and rags.
- Take your own reusable containers to restaurants and coffee shops.
- No fast food, bags, straws, wrappers and cups.
- Pack your lunch in a reusable container.
Download the Trash Tracker at www.kcrecycling.com and keep a log of the trash created for the day. Email the completed Trash Tracker to [email protected] or drop it off at the Depot by Monday, May 2. The completed form enters the person in drawing to win four tickets to Black Pine Animal Sanctuary in Albion.
This Earth Day focus on caring for the Earth by cutting down on waste. Nothing in the Can.