By Leah Sander
WINONA LAKE — Winona Lake has made another step towards putting in a roundabout at Argonne Road.
At a special meeting on Friday, Oct. 8, at Winona Lake Town Hall, the Winona Lake Town Council approved an agreement with Chicago, Fort Wayne & Eastern Railroad (CFER) related to constructing a roundabout at Argonne Road where it intersects with Winona Avenue, Park Avenue and Kings Highway.
The agreement means the Indiana Department of Transportation will pay 80% of project costs “basically for maintenance and flagging and other traffic control while they do the roundabout,” said Town Manager Craig Allebach Friday. The town will cover the remaining 20%. Those costs, a portion of the overall project, total $47,802.
Allebach also said bids are estimated to be let in early 2022.
Also at Friday’s meeting, the council approved allowing the council president to sign INDOT agreements related to the project on behalf of the council.
Friday’s developments come as construction on the town’s roundabout at Pierceton Road and CR 250E nears completion. Final paving for it is planned for this weekend.