FORT WAYNE — Girl Scouts of Northern Indiana-Michiana, in partnership with Fort Wayne Community Schools, will sponsor the sixth annual STEM Conference from 9:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 9, at Camp McMillen in rural Huntertown.
All girls from all schools are welcome to attend; non-Girl Scouts will receive a one-year membership as part of their registration.
The event will begin at 9 a.m. with a dozen hands-on tabletop activities where girls will explore science, technology, engineering and math concepts. After a lunch brea, there will be two optional career-focused breakout sessions led by female STEM professionals, including one from Sweetwater that will help younger girls (grades K-5) code a guitar; and one from Steel Dynamics, that will guide older girls (grades 6-12) in designing a boat. Confirmed exhibitors include:
- Steel Dynamics
- Soarin’ Hawk Raptor Rehabilitation
- Allen County Partnership for Water Quality
- Trees Indiana
- Northeast Indiana Veterinary Speciality and Emergency Hospital
- Fort Wayne Astronomical Society
- Purdue Fort Wayne (Physics Department, Future Girls of STEM, Phi Sigma Rho Engineering Sorority, American Society for Microbiology PFW Chapter, Environmental Resources Center)
- University of Saint Francis (Geology and Biology/Anatomy Departments)
- Manchester University School of Pharmacy
- David Adams Animation
- Auburn Cord Duesenberg Automobile Museum
- Indiana Tech Biomedical Engineering
Cost is $5 for the event, with $5 for the breakout sessions. Register online by Sept. 30.
GSNI-M would like to thank event sponsors: NIPSCO/NiSource Foundation, Sweetwater, Ruoff Mortgage, Don Wood Foundation and PNC Bank for their support in making this event possible.