Fort Wayne — Girl Scouts of Northern Indiana-Michiana, in partnership with Fort Wayne Community Schools, will sponsor the sixth annual STEM Conference 9:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 9, at Camp McMillen in rural Huntertown. All girls from all schools are welcome to attend; non-Girl Scouts will receive a one-year membership as part of their registration.
The event will begin at 9 a.m. with hands-on tabletop activities where girls will explore science, technology, engineering and math concepts. After a lunch break, there will be two optional career-focused breakout sessions led by female STEM professionals, one from Sweetwater who will help younger girls (grades K-5) code a guitar; and one from Steel Dynamics, who will guide older girls (grades 6-12) in designing a boat. Confirmed exhibitors include:
· Steel Dynamics
· Soarin’ Hawk Raptor Rehabilitation
· Allen County Partnership for Water Quality
· Trees Indiana
· Northeast Indiana Veterinary Specialty and Emergency Hospital
· Fort Wayne Astronomical Society
· Purdue Fort Wayne (Physics Department, Future Girls of STEM, Phi Sigma Rho Engineering Sorority, American Society for Microbiology PFW Chapter, Environmental Resources Center)
· University of Saint Francis (Geology and Biology/Anatomy Departments)
· Manchester University School of Pharmacy
· David Adams Animation
· Auburn Cord Duesenberg Automobile Museum
· Indiana Tech Biomedical Engineering
GSNI-M would like to thank event sponsors NIPSCO/NiSource Foundation, Sweetwater, Ruoff Mortgage, Don Wood Foundation and PNC Bank for their generous support in making this event possible.
Cost is $5 for the event, plus $5 for the breakout sessions. Register by Sept. 30 at www.gsnim.org.