MENTONE — September is library card sign-up month. Having a library card encourages children to read and gives them a sense of responsibility. It also teaches them to care for things that belong to others. Cards are free for Harrison Township residents or property owners and Tippecanoe Valley students. If a person isn’t eligible for a library card, BMPL offers a membership (12 months, with annual renewal) for $97 or a PLAC card for $65. In order to obtain a PLAC card, a person must have a “home” library.
Bell Memorial Public Library will be closed on Monday, Sept. 6, in observance of Labor Day.
New books hitting the shelves soon. **Please note that the majority of the books are pre-ordered. BMPL does not receive them until they are released from the publisher. **
- “Apples Never Fall” by Liana Moriarty (Sept 14)
- “The Beginning” by Beverly Lewis (Sept 7)
- “The Book of Lost Friends” by Lisa Wingate
- “The Burning” by Jonathan Kellerman (Sept 21)
- “The Christmas House” by Victoria James (Sept 7)
- “A Christmas in the Alps” by Melody Carlson (Sept 7)
- “The Christmas Wedding Guest” by Susan Mallery (Sept 28)
- “The Collector’s Daughter” by Gill Paul (Sept 7)
- “Down Range” by Taylor Moore
- “Enemy of the Gates” by Vince Flynn (Sept 14)
- “The Exiles” by Christina Baker Kline
- “First Christmas on Huckleberry Hill” (Sept 28)
Please take notice that BMPL has a new phone number. The new number is (574)-893-3200.
Parents, bring your little ones in on Fridays for Preschool story hour. Story hour begins at 10 a.m. in the children’s room. Along with listening to a story, children also create a craft related to the chosen story or stories that are read.
BMPL always offers curbside services. Please call (574)-893-3200 to request materials. You can also email Stephen Boggs at [email protected].
See what’s new and now streaming on Hoopla Digital. “Miserable Business” by P.J. Eiden, “On the Lam” by J. Betty Bee and “All the Cowboys Ain’t Gone” by John J. Jacobson. Teens and children can browse these titles: “Meg and Greg: The Bake Sale” by Elspeth Ray and “Paul and His Ukulele” by Robert Broder. A valid library card is needed to use Hoopla streaming services. For more information, please stop in and speak with a library staff member.
Bell Memorial Public Library now offers wireless printing from your smartphone or tablet. User must use the MENTONEWLAN for this to work
Persons using wireless printing will need to know how to print to print from their own device, Library staff cannot provide support for printing or other issues on patron-owned equipment.
- Be sure you are connected to the MENTONEWLAN.
- Open the item to be printed and select the print command.
- Search for the CANON MF642c series printer
- Click on the printer icon to begin the print process.
This is a new service and the library staff are still learning how to use the machine. If there is an issue with the machine, please leave a note for Mr. Boggs or e-mail him at [email protected]
Another new service is the patron use VHS videotape converter to digital. Contact Stephen Boggs at (574)-893-3200 or [email protected] to set up a time to come to the library to learn how to use the machine and begin digitizing homemade videotapes. Users will need to bring their own storage device such as a USB flash drive (4Gb minimum) or an external hard drive. Copying off-air programs is not allowed.
Plans are also being considered to add a document/photo scanner which will include a 35mm film or slide scanner, a circuit machine for patron use as well as a 3-D printer. Just contact Mr. Boggs at the library for more details.
The library board will meet at 6:30 p.m. Monday, Aug. 30, both in person and via Zoom. Meetings are open to the public.