Officers with the Kosciusko County Sheriff’s Office investigated the following accidents:
- 3:16 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 26, South SR 25 east of South Bruner Road, Warsaw. Drivers: Erich J. Wilhelmi, 38, South SR 25, Mentone, and Aaron S. Dunnuck, 17, West CR 250S, Warsaw. Wilhelmi was traveling westbound on SR 25 when his vehicle lost the left front tire. Dunnuck was unable to avoid hitting the tire with his vehicle when it entered his lane. Damage: Up to $10,000.
- 8:34 a.m. Thursday, Aug. 26, East CR 1000S east of South County Farm Road, Claypool. Driver: Casey J. Owens, 37, East CR 1000S, Claypool. Owens was traveling eastbound on East CR 1000S, Claypool, when his vehicle hit a deer. Damage: Up to $10,000.
- 4:08 a.m. Thursday, Aug. 26, North CR 300E north of CR 1100N, Milford. Driver: Jose M. Sanchez, 20, Dot Street, Warsaw. Sanchez was traveling northbound on North CR 300E, Milford, when he lost control of his vehicle due to road conditions. His vehicle swerved. It crossed the center line, left the roadway on the west side of the road and struck the ditch at a high rate of speed. It hit multiple trees and came to a stop about 40 yards north of where it exited the roadway. He previously reported to other emergency personnel on scene that he was traveling at approximately 70-plus miles per hour and lost control. Sanchez complained of pain in his chest/abdomen area and right arm pain. He was transported by helicopter to Fort Wayne. Damage: Up to $25,000.
- 8:21 p.m. Wednesday, Aug. 25, South CR 900W north of West CR 100S, Mentone. Driver: Derek M. Kaser, 29, South County Farm Road, Claypool. Kaser was traveling northbound on CR 900W between CR 100S and CR 200S, Mentone. He said he didn’t see the bicyclist traveling on the right hand side of the road. His right side mirror struck the bicyclist on her left shoulder, throwing her from the bicycle. The woman was wearing a helmet and the impact didn’t make the helmet come off. She was taken to the hospital after complaining of left side pain, left knee pain and a possible broken left elbow. Damage: Up to $2,500.
Officers with the Syracuse Police Department investigated the following accident:
- 4:07 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 26, South Huntington Street south of East Pickwick Drive, Syracuse. Drivers: Andrew S. Stevens, 62, West Hillside Drive, Syracuse, and Margaret M. Taylor, 62, North CR 100E, Milford. Stevens was traveling southbound on South Huntington Street, Syracuse, when he turned left into the parking lot of Neighborhood Fresh, located at 726 S. Huntington St. As he was turning, he ran into the rear of Taylor’s vehicle that was in the northbound lane of South Huntington Street. Damage: Under $750.
Officers with the Winona Lake Police Department investigated the following accidents:
- 8:05 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 26, 127 Lakeview Drive, Winona Lake. Driver: Jean A. North, 51, Aqueduct Lane, Warsaw. North got into a vehicle and attempted to move it, not realizing that the brakes had not been fully pressurized. She tried to brake, but the brakes didn’t respond and her vehicle hit the driver’s side doors of a parked vehicle. Damage: Up to $5,000.
- 2:30 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 26, Packerton Road and Pierceton Road, Winona Lake. Drivers: Christopher R. Dausman, 26, West CR 800S, Claypool, and Sherri M. Brock, 42, Rieder Street, Warsaw. Dausman said there was a westbound septic truck attempting to turn south onto Packerton Road, Winona Lake. He said he checked both mirrors and saw that no vehicles were behind him, so he began backing to allow the truck to turn. As he was backing, his truck came to a complete stop. He got out to check and saw that he had hit Brock’s vehicle. Damage: Up to $5,000.
- 3:31 p.m. Wednesday, Aug. 25, Kings Highway, Winona Lake. Drivers: Nicholas P. Scholar, 31, Johnson Street, Akron, and Cara E. McCrum, 16, Washington Street, Pierceton. Scholar was turning left at a stop sign and did not see McCrum’s vehicle when he pulled out in front of her. Damage up to $25,000.