Editor’s note: This is a retrospective article that runs a few times a month on InkFreeNews that relies on files from the Kosciusko County Historical Society
Aug. 22, 1979 — In 10 months or less, residents of the city of Warsaw will need to dial only 911 in case of emergency.
The 911 program, quickly spreading in communities throughout the nation, will come to Warsaw after the city’s Board of Public Works and Safety signed a contract with United Telephone Systems during its regular meeting Tuesday.
1867 — The Wright House stood on the corner east of the courthouse and was destroyed by fire in 1867. James Whitcomb Riley lived there as a young man while doing sign painting in Warsaw.
1836 — When the first settlers came to Bourbon Township in 1836, they found peaceful bands of Potawatomi settled at Ben-ack village along the Tippecanoe River.
Chief Ben-ack had a trading post and lived in the township many years with his daughter, Mary Ann, and her husband, John Peashway, and family, after the government had forced most of the Indians to go to Kansas.
The first settlers were James Parks and his wife, Elizabeth Hughes Parks, eight unmarried sons and two daughters, Polly and Penelope, and their husbands, Solomon Linn and John Greer, and families.
In 1837, a log building was erected and used as a church and school and for public gatherings.
James Parks died in August 1839 and a plot of ground was set aside as a “burying ground.” In 1849, a church was built on a corner of the “burying ground” and it was called the Shiloh Presbyterian Church.
Bourbon Township was organized in 1840. In 1842, it was divided and the south half was called Tippecanoe Township.
August 1835 — Leesburg, the oldest town in the county, was laid out in August 1835 by Levi Lee. Situated on section 8 in Plain Township, it also was the first recorded town in the county.
W.W. and I.R. Blain were the first merchants of the place, followed by Judge James Comstock.
– Compiled by InkFreeNews reporter Lasca Randels