WARSAW — One man was injured in an overnight fire in an apartment building on the corner of Fort Wayne and Columbia streets Monday night, July 26.
The fire at 321 W. Fort Wayne St., was reported at 9:30 p.m. and gutted much of the entire structure.
When firefighters arrived, they found heavy flames on the first story and fire coming out of multiple windows, according to a news release by the Warsaw Police Department.
Fire crews were alerted to the likelihood that people were still inside the building and began a search.
They found one person inside. Steven D. Mawer, who resided in the second-floor apartment, was removed from the building through a second-floor window and taken down by ladder to the ground level where medics were waiting, the news release said.
Mawer was flown to the burn center at Lutheran Hospital and his current condition is listed as stable.
The building sustained moderate fire damage estimated at approximately $125,100 with approximately $63,000 in damage to contents, police said.
Crime tape surrounded much of the charred structure Tuesday morning.
The property is owned by Shafer Rentals LLC, of Warsaw.