By Liz Shepherd
WARSAW — The Kosciusko County Alcohol and Tobacco Commission approved permits for two new Syracuse restaurants during a meeting on Thursday, June 3.
Chris and Shanda Scheeren, owners of Farmhouse Kitchen and Catering, 9522 N. CR 300E, Syracuse, were present at the meeting for a new permit. The couple also own Blue Barn Berry Farm in Syracuse. Farmhouse will be a breakfast and brunch restaurant, and will be open for private dinner reservations. The board approved the permit for the Scheerens.
Shayla Canseco, owner of Los Toritos Mexican Restaurant Inc., 717 S. Huntington St., Syracuse, also requested a new permit. The establishment will be a family restaurant. Canseco told the board her husband will be managing the restaurant and that he is trained in serving alcohol. A final inspection of the building by State Excise Officer April Tackett is not complete since the location is undergoing a full remodel. The board approved the permit.
In other business, the board addressed a permit renewal with a violation for the Warsaw Meijer location. David Rothenberg, McKean Law Firm in Indianapolis; and Brock Heyneman, Meijer’s store manager, were both at the meeting to discuss the matter.
Rothenberg said in October 2020, a cashier bypassed the store’s system for checking identification and sold alcohol to a minor. The employee was later fired as a result. Heyneman said the store’s employees go through a training course once a year to learn proper procedures on checking customers’ identification when selling alcohol. The board approved Meijer’s permit renewal.
Kosciusko’s ATC approved a permit transfer for TL Overmyer LLC, doing business as Double Shot Liquor, 104 E. State St., Etna Green. Lisa Overmyer was present at the meeting regarding the transfer and said it was due to the company changing from self-proprietorship to an LLC.
The board also approved four transfers of ownership for Family Express stores in Warsaw, North Webster, Etna Green and Leesburg. The former stores were owned by Freedom Oil LLC, doing business as Freedom Express.
A renewal with a violation for Hazera Begum, doing business as H&E Express Mart, 2518 E. Center St., Warsaw, was continued to next month’s meeting. A representative for the business was not present at the June meeting.
The following permits were also renewed at the meeting with no violations:
- 28Fifty Management LLC, doing business as Stonehenge Golf Club, 2850 E. Pierceton Road (lower level), Winona Lake. Beer, wine and liquor – restaurant.
- American Legion Post 253, 756 S. Main St., North Webster. Beer, wine and liquor – fraternal club.
- Good Oil Company Inc., doing business as Good to Go #95, 617 Buffalo St., Warsaw. Beer and wine dealer – grocery store.
- Kmart Corporation, doing business as Kmart #9122, 3350 Lake City Highway, Warsaw. Beer and wine dealer – grocery store.
- La Troje, 115 S. Buffalo St., Warsaw. Beer, wine and liquor – restaurant.
- Lucky Daisy Inc., doing business as Yamato Steakhouse of Japan, 101 Argonne Road, Warsaw. Beer and wine retailer – restaurant.
- MSM Holdco LLC, doing business as Martin’s Supermarket #26, 1150 Husky Trail, Warsaw. Beer, wine and liquor – drug store.
- Saint Regis Club LLC, doing business as Oak & Alley, 114 S. Buffalo St., Warsaw. Beer, wine and liquor – restaurant.
The board’s next meeting will be held virtually at 1 p.m. Thursday, July 1; the local board will begin meeting in-person in August.