The Town of Syracuse, Indiana is seeking a Town Manager that will be responsible for the day-to-day management of the Town, including those activities directed by the Town Council. The Manager is appointed and would be responsible to the town council.
As provided for under state statue, the Town Manager is responsible for the following:
- Conduct duties in accordance with Indiana statutes and the direction of the Council.
- Administer all ordinances, orders, and resolutions adopted by the Town Council. Carry out policies adopted by the elected body.
- Ensure that all statutes required to be administered by the Town Council or other Town officials are faithfully administered.
- Manage contracts on behalf of the Town after completing any steps required by statue.
- Cary out the policies adopted by the elected body.
- Provide professional administration, management and supervision of town departments.
- Assure compliance with relevant federal laws and regulations, Indiana General Laws and municipal laws, ordinances, and regulations.
2. General Operations
- Prepare agendas and attend Town Council Meetings.
- Recommend actions to the Council and functions as the Administrator of the municipality.
- Prepare monthly reports for the Council with the assistance of each Department Head and other staff as needed to apprise the Town into the status of current operations and other business.
- Recommend service and policy updates to the Council for action and implementation.
- Oversee and manage property and assets.
3. Manage Town Staff to maintain efficiency
- Direct supervisory authority over Town employees.
- Delegate authority when applicable to appropriate staff members.
- Coordinate with the head of each department to set and monitor attainable goals.
- Coordinate with the head of each department to create and maintain planning documents, maintenance schedules, annual budgets, staffing needs, and general management assistance.
- Assist the Council to hire, evaluate, promote and discipline employees.
4. Public Relations
- Investigate questions and complaints from the public with the Town Attorney and other resources as needed regarding the enforcement of Town Ordinances.
- Maintain contact with Business Owners and citizens on behalf of the Town Council.
- Act as the liaison with state and federal government, local civic and business entities, and interested members of the public.
- Facilitate the flow and understanding of ideas and information between and among elected officials, employees and citizens.
5. Infrastructure Development
- Work with the consultants (Engineer firms, Contractors) regarding the oversight of construction projects.
- Oversee contracts on behalf of the Town.
- Plans for short-term and long-term financing for capital projects.
6. Planning and Compliance
- Assist the Council to develop and maintain the Town’s Comprehensive Plan.
- Keep the Town Council apprised of developments at the state and federal level that impact the Town as well as monitor pending legislation and compliance with new legislation.
- Research, prepare and apply for grant opportunities including but not limited to Federal or State Grants.
- Administer grants and programs to support the Town’s strategic plan and long-term goals.
8. Economic Development
- Assist the Town Council and Redevelopment Commission to improve and implement the town’s economic development plan, establish goals and implement strategies that benefits the community.
- Assist the Council to develop and implement a long-term capital plan that schedules needed purchases from year to year.
- Prepare a comprehensive annual operating budget and capital improvement plan.
- Provide budget estimates for projects and assists the Clerk-Treasurer with preparation of the annual budget.
In addition to these duties, the Town Manager also responds to citizen requests for service or information, and acts as a liaison with other federal, state, & local governmental agencies. Other duties maybe assigned from time to time.
- Experience as a supervisor. Experience in local government management a plus.
- Working knowledge of sewer operations, water operations, road maintenance, and infrastructure problems is a plus.
- Computer skills preferred include a background in MS Word, PowerPoint and Excel; Adobe PDF file creation; and website management software is a plus.
- Ability to speak in public, and experience with making public presentations.
- Ability to communicate professionally both verbally and in writing.
- Good organizational skills.
- Experience with personnel conflict resolution.
- Working knowledge of grants and funding opportunities is a plus.
- Possess a valid driver’s license.
- Not be a convicted of a felony.
- Practice good hygiene.
- Be Dependable.
- Live in or close to the Town corporate boundary.
Salary is negotiable based on experience and training. Correspondence may be submitted by email to:
[email protected] or by mail to Virginia Cazier 310 N. Huntington Street Syracuse, IN 46567.
Syracuse is an equal opportunity employer. Please list your salary requirements.