Editor’s note: Simmering Saturdays is a recurring column on InkFreeNews. This food feature is provided by Nagi at RecipeTinEats. Look for it to post weekly at 10 a.m.
Marinated Beef Kabobs
This recipe is brought to you by:
Using a marinade infuses the beef with flavor as well as tenderizing so you’ll have juicy steak pieces even if you opt for a more economical cut of beef. Use the reserved marinade to baste the kabobs as they cook for extra flavor! Buy the beef in a block so you can cut them into large cubes. Makes 8 skewers. See below video for recipe.
- 1.5 lb beef tri tips, sirloin steak tips or other steak cut
- 3 bell peppers (red, yellow green)
- 1 large red onion
- 16 small mushrooms – 1.3″ wide
- 1 tsp minced garlic (2 large garlic clove)
- 1 tsp onion powder (or sub with garlic powder)
- 2 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil (or other neutral flavored oil)
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 16 flat metal skewers 10 – 12″
- Olive oil, for drizzling and cooking
- Finely chopped parsley, garnish (optional)
Cut the beef into 1.3″ wide cubes.
Mix Marinade in a bowl. Add beef. Marinate for 1 – 24 hours, minimum 20 minutes.
Cut peppers and onion into 1.3″ wide squares.
Thread beef (reserve Marinade), vegetables and mushrooms on each skewer. Use 2 pieces of vegetables between each piece of beef. Thread loosely – don’t smush together tightly (helps even cooking).
Brush kababs lightly with Reserved Marinade (including vegetables), then drizzle with olive oil.
Heat grill or large skillet over high heat. Add 1 tbsp oil, then when smoking, cook kababs in batches for 2 minutes on each side until slightly charred (4 sides = 8 minutes in total), basting with Reserved Marinade as you go.
Transfer to plate, cover loosely with foil and rest for 3 minutes before serving. Garnish with parsley if desired.