By Deb Patterson
MILFORD — Two employees from Widman Builders working on a home at 412 W. Catherine St., Milford, heard screams for help from a house next door, saw smoke and a baby being dangled from a front window. The baby and at least two adults were rescued from the home due to the workers’ quick thinking and the use of a ladder.
Milford Fire Department received the call at 1:11 p.m. to 410 W. Catherine St., and quickly called for the ladder truck and manpower from Turkey Creek Fire Territory. More assistance was also requested from Plain Township and New Paris fire departments.
Heavy black and brown smoke could be seen for miles and drew a number of onlookers to the scene. Many who reside in that area and saw the smoke quickly made their way to their homes believing it could be their home on fire.
Beacon Online Mapping shows the home at 410 W. Catherine St., is owned by Tasha Thompson. The house was built in the early 1900s and was originally owned by Howard Berkeypile. The single-family home is 1 1/2 stories and is 1,863 square feet with a metal roof.
It took almost two hours before the fire was reported as under control. However, the home was completely destroyed and the residence to the north, at 408 W. Catherine St., owned by Vicki Simmons, sustained radiant heat damage along with broken windows and smoke damage.
Further details are not available and the cause will be investigated by fire officials.