Editor’s note: Simmering Saturdays is a recurring column on InkFreeNews. This food feature is provided by Nagi at RecipeTinEats. Look for it to post weekly at 10 a.m.
Greek Chicken Gryos
This is a GREAT meal for groups – prepare ahead, make loads, because the smell when this is grilling will sure to bring the neighbors!
- 2 lb. chicken thigh fillets, (boneless, skinless)
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced (3 tsp.)
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar (or red wine or apple cider vinegar)
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp Greek yogurt, preferably full fat
- 1 1/2 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- Black pepper
- 2 cucumbers (to make about 1/2 – 3/4 cup grated cucumber after squeezing out juice)
- 1 1/4 cups Greek yogurt, preferably full fat
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (or more if you want richer)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Black pepper
- 3 tomatoes, deseeded and diced
- 3 cucumbers, diced
- 1/2 red spanish onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley leaves (optional)
- Salt and pepper
- 4 to 6 pita breads or flat breads
Place the Marinade ingredients in a ziplock bag and massage to mix. Add the chicken into the ziplock bag and massage to cover all the chicken in the Marinade. Marinate for at least 2 hours, preferably 3 hours, ideally 12 hours and no longer than 24 hours.
MAKE THE TZATZIKI
Cut the cucumber in half lengthwise. Use a teaspoon to scrape the watery seeds out. Coarsely grate the cucumber using a box grater. Then wrap in paper towels or a tea towel and squeeze to remove excess liquid.
Place cucumber in a bowl. Add remaining ingredients then mix to combine. Set aside for at least 20 minutes for the flavors to meld.
Combine ingredients in a bowl.
Brush the outdoor grill with oil, then preheat on medium high. Or heat 1 tbsp of oil in a fry pan over medium high heat.
Remove chicken from Marinade. Cook the chicken for 2 to 3 minutes on each side, until golden brown and cooked through (cooking time depends on size of chicken).
Remove the chicken from the grill / fry pan onto a plate. Cover loosely with foil and allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
If chicken thighs are large, you may need to cut them.
Get a pita bread or flatbread (preferably warmed) and place it on a piece of parchment baking paper or foil.
Place some Salad down the middle of the bread, then top with chicken and Tzatziki.
Roll the wrap up, enclosing it with the parchment paper. Twist the end with the excess parchment paper to secure it and cut if desired.