By Leah Sander
WINONA LAKE — Progress was made on the planned roundabout project during the Winona Lake Town Council meeting on Tuesday, Jan. 19.
The council approved an $847,320 construction agreement with the Indiana Department of Transportation for the project. The roundabout is to be placed at Winona Avenue and Argonne Road.
That figure amounts to 80% of the cost for the roundabout to be paid by INDOT. Winona Lake is to pay the remaining 20%, which amounts to $278,481.
In response to a question, Town Manager Craig Allebach said a temporary right turn lane has been set up at the site of the former Collier’s building in the area of the new roundabout. That’s to help with traffic during the roundabout construction.
In other business, the council:
- Had a moment of silence in memory of Nancy Adams. The wife of Town Clerk-Treasurer Kent Adams passed away at age 79 on Monday, Jan. 11.
- Approved a request from Town Police Chief Joe Hawn to buy new weapons for the department at a cost of $8,474.50 from Acme Sports Inc., Seymour.
- Reorganized for 2021, with Rick Swaim staying president and Denny Duncan as vice-president.
- Heard from Allebach and The Village at Winona Lake Managing Director Nick Hauck that the annual Pajama Party Sale is to be on Saturday, Jan. 30, in the Village’s shops.
The earliest time sales start is at 7 a.m. Some shops encourage patrons to wear pajamas, said Hauck.
- Heard from Allebach that the annual Groundhog Day 5K starts at 2 p.m. Sunday, Jan. 31, at Green Earth Multisport, 1009 E. Canal St.
According to the business’ Facebook page, people may register for the event from 1-1:45 p.m. that day at the business.
- Approved its regular annual agreement with Wayne Township.
That’s related to Winona Lake’s Parks and Recreation Department. That helps pay for the cost of Wayne Township residents who don’t actually live in Winona Lake who wish to use the Winona Lake park system. As a result of that agreement, Wayne Township pays $20,000.
The council’s next meeting is 6 p.m. Tuesday, Feb. 16, at Winona Lake Town Hall.