From the files of the Kosciusko County Historical Society
This is a history column that will appear a few times a month.
Jan. 3, 1984 — Mr. and Mrs. Gregory (Michelle) Davis, 707 E. Center St., Warsaw, won’t be able to claim seven-pound, 10-ounce Ashley Dawn as a 1983 tax deduction. But they’re probably quite relieved she showed up. Ashley was born Jan. 2, the first baby of the new year at Kosciusko Community Hospital.
Jan. 4, 1982 — Local Kroger Co. and Zale Drug Store officials said today they are uncertain how long the two stores will be closed following a major fire that swept through the storage room of the supermarket.
Fire caused an estimated $400,000 damage to the East Center Street supermarket Ð of which there was $300,000 in damage to the contents and $100,000 damage to the building, according to Warsaw Fire Department officials. There was only smoke damage to The Zale Drug Store, which adjoins The Kroger Co., fire officials reported.
Jan. 3, 1978 — The Winona Lake Town Board ended 1977 discussing appropriation transfers and encumbrances. Also at the meeting, town manager-marshal Marlin Rose announced that the newly hired patrolman, Craig Allebach, would begin his police duties soon.
Jan. 7, 1977 — Two students and one teacher narrowly escaped injury at Warsaw Community High School when a bomb exploded in the upper E section of a boys’ restroom.
The explosion destroyed one stool in the area where it was planted and threw shrapnel from the stool throughout the entire restroom. Since the stool was enclosed partially in a stall, the bulk of the damage was confined to that area.
City police said federal authorities would be called in to assist in the investigation of the explosion.
Jan. 5, 1974 — Firemen battled near zero temperatures and a stubborn blaze that completely gutted the quarter-block Boice Building at the intersection of Center and Indiana Streets in downtown Warsaw.
The fire, which was first detected at 7:10 a.m., was still raging at late morning as firemen were hampered by false ceilings in the second story of the building.
Although no early estimates of damage were available, authorities speculated that the loss would exceed $200,000.
Housed in the structure were the Center Cinema movie theater, Dye Music Center and Town and Country women’s apparel shop on the street level.
The second floor contained offices for the Vore Cinema Corp., Wayne Township Justice of the Peace Milo Clase, Credit Bureau of Kosciusko County, the Kosciusko County Republican Central Committee and office for the owner of the building.
Chuck Hogan, Warsaw, was one of the first persons to spot smoke pouring from the second story of the building. He drove to the Warsaw police station to report the fire at 7:10 a.m.
– Compiled by InkFreeNews reporter Lasca Randels