SYRACUSE — The board of school trustees of the Wawasee Community School Corporation will convene a public hearing at 5:30 p.m. Dec. 15, at the Warrior Room of Wawasee High School, located at 1 Warrior Path, Building 1, Syracuse.
The purpose of the public hearing is for the board to meet to discuss and hear objections to and support for a proposed term of the superintendent’s contract to comply with IC 20-26-5-4.3.
A summary of the proposed superintendent contract is as follows:
1. Term: Three years, Jan. 1, 2021, to Dec. 31, 2023.
2. Base annual salary: $128,000.
3. A work year of 260 days with annual entitlement to 20 vacation days, 10 holidays, four personal days and 10 sick days. Ten vacation days may be carried over to the following year. Accumulated vacation days above 30 shall be transferred to sick leave. Unused vacation and sick days shall not be compensable upon separation.
4. Indiana Public Retirement System: The school corporation pays the superintendent’s statutorily required INPRS contribution, which is 3% of the superintendent’s base salary.
5. Annuity: The school corporation shall pay an annual amount equal to 5% of the annual base salary per contract year into a 401(a), 403(b), 501(c) (9) and/or VEBA accounts.
6. Health insurance: The superintendent is eligible to participate in the school corporation’s current health, dental and vision insurance plans (single or family plans) with the school corporation paying an annual contribution of $4,130.26. Group dental and vision insurance will be provided at a cost of $1 each.
7. Life insurance policy: The school corporation provides a life insurance policy for the superintendent in the amount of $50,000 at the cost of $1.
8. Disability insurance: The school corporation provides a long-term disability insurance plan for the superintendent and will be provided at a cost of $1.
9. Liability insurance: The school corporation provides a liability insurance policy for the superintendent in the amount of $100,000.
10. Mileage reimbursement: The school corporation shall pay an auto allowance for the superintendent for use of his privately-owned vehicle for school-related purposes and school corporation-wide business. The monthly amount of this benefit shall remain at the baseline amount of $700 and shall be prorated to and paid at each payroll of this contract.
11. Communication devices: The school corporation pays a mobile device fee to the superintendent for use of his personal mobile phone for school business use. The current monthly cost to the school corporation is approximately $80.
12. Evaluations: The board of school trustees will meet with the superintendent each contract year to discuss his performance evaluation. If the superintendent receives an evaluation rating of effective or highly effective, the superintendent shall be entitled to a raise equal to 2% of the base annual salary amount.
The complete proposed contract of the superintendent of schools for the Wawasee Community School Corporation will be available on the school district website, (wawasee.k12.in.us). After the public hearing the board of school trustees will consider the input received and then it will consider the proposed contract as an agenda item for consideration at a board meeting Dec. 22.