By Dan Spalding
WARSAW – A small fire broke out at the old Madison Elementary in Warsaw Sunday night, Sept. 6.
The fire was called in roughly around 8 p.m. after a report of smoke.
The building at the corner of Main and Union streets had most recently been used as the Gateway Education Center that is part of Warsaw Community Schools.
The school district announced earlier this summer, the property was being sold to a developer, Cary Groninger.
Superintendent Dr. David Hoffert said the district was still a few weeks away from finalizing the sale.
Most of the contents had already been removed, he said.
Hoffert, who was at the scene Sunday night, said the preliminary indication is that the fire was electrical in nature.
By 8:40 p.m., firefighters from Warsaw-Wayne Fire territory were using large fans to expel smoke.
Also responding were Warsaw Police Department and Winona Lake Fire Department and Leesburg Fire Department.