By Maggie Kenworthy
MENTONE — The re-entry plan for the upcoming school year was briefly discussed at the Tippecanoe Valley School Board meeting held Monday night, June 15.
Superintendent Blaine Conley explained that on June 10, a survey was posted to social media and sent to the parents of students asking for feedback regarding the re-entry to school in the fall. The survey will conclude at noon Wednesday, June 17. A re-entry committee will review the feedback and collaborate on planning the re-entry protocol. This work will then be sent to the health department, which will be the final authority in approving the plan.
The first student day is currently planned for Wednesday, Aug. 12.
“We value the input from parents in our community and please take into consideration the fluidity of this situation as we make this decision on opening our schools,” said Conley.
In addition, the corporation will be sending out a survey for parents to provide feedback on the corporation’s e-learning initiatives.
“I’m proud of the efforts of our students, parents, teachers and support staff and how we shifted and made the most out of a difficult situation,” said Conley. “As a school corporation, we know we have to improve in e-learning. A program is being developed where teacher leaders will be facilitating programming that will improve our e-learning initiatives as a school corporation.”
Near the end of the meeting, the board accepted the resignation of Lacey Wise as a school board member. Then, the board voted to approve hiring Wise as a guidance counselor at TVHS. The school corporation will be posting an application online as they seek a new member to fill Wise’s position. The candidate must be a Franklin Township resident and over 21 years of age.
Since Wise was vice president of the school board, the board then voted for Adam Heckaman to take over the position of vice president.
The next regular school board meeting will be held at Mentone Elementary at 6 p.m. Monday, July 20.
In other news, the board:
- Thanked Valeria Jimenez for her service as the senior student representative this past school year.
- Accepted a $9,250 grant from the AWS Foundation for curriculum funding that will support instruction in the Applied Skills Special Education programs.
- Approved school lunch prices for the upcoming school year. Each meal will see a $0.10 increase. Elementary lunches will cost $1.80 while middle school and high school lunches will cost $2.30. Breakfast for all students will cost $1.30. Adult lunches will cost $3.70 and adult breakfasts will cost $1.40.
- Approved the hiring of Melissa Koch, a fifth-grade teacher at Mentone Elementary: Derek Miller, PLTW engineering teacher at TVHS; and Lacey Buck, a chemistry teacher at TVHS.
- Approved two personnel changes which included Kayla Rassi as a music teacher at Akron Elementary and Hayley Whitaker as reading interventionist at Akron Elementary.
- Approved the resignation of Andrew Childress, physical education teacher, TVHS; Jennifer Roden, science teacher and robotics club sponsor at TVHS; Margaret White, special education teacher at TVMS; Jaclyn Holley, a guidance counselor at TVHS; Crystal Heckaman, student council advisor at TVHS; Tom Alexander, Swim Coach at TVHS; and Lora Dishon, assistant swim coach at TVHS.
- Approved the retirement of Deb Tillman as a reading interventionist at Akron Elementary.
- Approved the termination of Rita Troyer, a custodian at TVHS.
- Approved the food service vendors for the upcoming school year.
- Approved a Memorandum of Understanding between the board of trustees and the teachers’ association in regards to three additional staff workdays.