INDIANAPOLIS — Indiana Governor Eric J. Holcomb and the Indiana State Department of Health (ISDH) announced on Monday, March 16, the first Indiana death from COVID-19. The patient was a Marion County adult.
“A family today is suffering the ultimate loss due to COVID-19, and this sadly underscores how severe the virus can be – especially for some high-risk Hoosiers,” Gov. Holcomb said. “The state is taking unprecedented actions to slow the spread of COVID-19, and every Hoosier should follow the precautionary measures.”
According to a press release on the ISDH website, the adult from Marion County died at a Community Health Network hospital on Monday morning. The person, who was over age 60, had been hospitalized as a COVID-19 patient and also suffered from underlying medical conditions. No further information will be released about the patient or the case.
“I cannot stress this enough – if you are ill, stay home,” said State Health Commissioner Kris Box, M.D., FACOG. “If you need to seek medical care, call ahead so that your healthcare provider can take steps to protect others from exposure to COVID-19. We all have a role to play to protect Hoosiers from this illness, and the time to act is now.”
COVID-19 is a respiratory illness caused by a novel, or new, coronavirus that has not been previously identified. It is not the same as the type of coronavirus that causes the common cold. To date, 24 Hoosiers across 13 counties have received presumptive positive tests for COVID-19. All but one are adults.