CLAYPOOL — Claypool resident Penelopy Wagley addressed the Claypool Town Council on Tuesday, Feb. 18, regarding the town helping to fund a senior fitness program.
A local 3B Exercise group is being proposed, with the three B’s representing body, brain and belief. The group would be those ages 55 and older.
“The body portion would cover exercises,” said Wagley. “The brain part would be riddles, jokes and educational facts. And belief goes through devotions and unique ways to memorize Scripture.”
Training for instructors to host 3B Exercise groups is happening in Fort Wayne on May 1 and 2. The cost for the training is $150 per person and also covers the cost of materials, including lesson plans for 12 weeks of classes, a DVD with more than 150 exercises and exercise equipment items for about 30 people.
“Claypool United Methodist Church has agreed to allow us to use the fellowship hall for this program,” said Wagley. “This is going to really benefit the community. What I’m asking from the town is to cover the instructor training, along with any needed supplies and make this a community thing, not just a church thing.”
Wagley said she and one other person are currently planning on taking the training.
“I know there’s also the K21 grant that’s for health and wellness,” said Wagley. “This definitely fits into that. I’ve also talked with a couple of pastors from Packerton and Pleasant Grove that would possibly bring people from that area as well for the exercise.”
The training would meet three days a week for one hour. Wagley said her goal is to start hosting the exercise groups in May.
“I think it sounds like a great opportunity for the community,” said Council President Liz Heiman. “Let us know what we need to know and we’ll go from there.”
In other business, Town Marshal Ben Sanders requested permission to apply for a grant allowing a school resource officer to be implemented at Claypool Elementary School. The grant application is due by March 11.
Sanders told the council he met with Warsaw Community Schools Superintendent Dr. David Hoffert, WCS Chief Academic Officer Dr. David Robertson, Kosciusko County Sheriff Kyle Dukes and Claypool Elementary School Principal Melissa Rees regarding the grant.
“It’s a three-year 75 percent grant,” said Sanders. “Dr. Hoffert and Dr. Robertson both believe that Warsaw Community Schools can cover the other 25 percent. With the possibility of the childcare center opening up, that will put a lot more kids within the school.”
The council’s next meeting is at 7 p.m. Tuesday, March 17.