WINONA LAKE — Members of the Winona Lake Town Council on Tuesday, Nov. 19, announced plans to hold public hearings on possible increases in fees for trash removal and wastewater at its monthly meeting.
The town’s proposed wastewater rate could increase monthly from $47 to $56. The trash removal rate could increase from $5 to $6.
This is the first time the town proposed an increase in wastewater rate in over a decade despite contract rate increases with the City of Warsaw, according to Town Council President Rick Swaim.
“The increase is the result of a rate study where the town determined wastewater expenses were greater than revenues,” Swaim said.
Winona Lake, along with Leesburg, utilizes Warsaw’s wastewater treatment facilities.
The increase in the trash removal rate is the result of a rate study on the town’s trash services conducted earlier this year.
“We’re hoping we see a competitive bid in June 2020 that will help keep this increase at $1,” said Swaim.
Public hearings on both rate increases are scheduled during the council’s next regular meeting at 6 p.m. Dec. 17 at the Winona Lake Town Hall.
If approved, the changes would kick in on Jan. 1.
Other business included:
- Town offices will be closed on Thanksgiving, Nov. 28 and the following day, Friday, Nov. 29. Trash removal will remain the same Tuesday, Nov. 26. Thursday’s trash removal will occur Friday, Nov. 29, according to Clerk-Treasurer Kent Adams.
- The council approved a 3% salary increase for the Town Marshall and Park Board, with no increase for the Town Council or Clerk-Treasurer.
- The council approved an additional 3% salary/hourly pay increase for Deputy Marshals, Town Coordinator, Office Staff, Park Employees and the Building Commissioner.
- The council approved a request by Public Works Supervisor Tom Miller to purchase a Ford F550 truck from Rice Ford-Lincoln in Warsaw for $45,967 and a hydraulic dump attachment from W.A. Jones in Columbia City for $19,968. The total cost of the truck and hydraulic dump is $65,935, according to Miller.
- KringleFest will be at the Winona Lake Senior Center, Nov. 30, 1-3:30 p.m.
- Tree Lighting Ceremony in the Village at Winona will be Nov. 30, 3:30-6:30 p.m.
- The multi-group performance featuring Symphony of the Lakes, One Starry Night, will have two performances in the Winona Heritage Room, Dec. 8 at 4:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. Tickets may be purchased from the Wagon Wheel box office or at the door the prior to each performance.