By Darla McCammon
This month, an artist new to the area will exhibit at Lakeland Art Association.
Marcy Mitchell grew up in both rural settings as well as cosmopolitan areas in Michigan. Her work is done in acrylics and pastels. This exhibit focuses on her love of pastels. When asked about her favorite style, Mitchell said, “I love most art styles. My favorites tend to be Impressionism and Fauvism.”
She remarked that Duncan Fergusson, Cezanne, Neel and Andrew Wyeth were among her most admired artists. Mitchell continues to develop as an artist and has won awards for her endeavors. Mitchell has been invited to many exhibitions as her work comes into favor with many fans. You will enjoy viewing her work at the Lakeland Gallery in Warsaw.
Attending Southwestern Michigan College, Mitchell did not step into education in the arts, but instead struck out on her own and started an exciting journey. She began delving into the many avenues of experimentation in art until she settled on her most popular mediums, acrylics and pastels. These have proven to be the most enjoyed by the public as well with this particular exhibit coming up at Lakeland Art Gallery being primarily an example of her work in pastels.
“Pastels are a very versatile, yet misunderstood, medium,” said Mitchell. “They can be temperamental to work with at times which may be why they are often overlooked in the fine art world.” Evidence of her mastery of this more difficult medium is evident in the work you will see on display this month. You will enjoy a visit to this gallery as it brings in new talent and gifted artists on a regular basis. The gallery is open from 11:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Wednesdays through Saturdays.
If you would like to exhibit at Warsaw City Hall Art Gallery or Lakeland Art Gallery, please contact Darla at [email protected] or (574) 527-4044.
- The Bondar and Waters exhibit will be on display through August at the Warsaw City Hall Gallery.
- The North Webster Library will have an exhibit on display by Robert Hudson through Aug. 31.
- The Gallery at Rua in Warsaw is featuring Steve Sult’s “Sitting on the Fence” digital art posters collection now through Sept. 18.
- The Clark Gallery in Honeywell Center has its themed art competition exhibit on display through Aug. 19.
- The Fine Arts Festival sponsored by Churubusco Library will take place from 2 to 7 p.m. Aug. 24.