INDIANA — NIPSCO crews, with support from additional contracted resources, are working to respond to the widespread damage caused by a strong line of winds and storms that moved through the area after 1 a.m., Thursday morning. At its peak, approximately 35,000 electric customers were affected, with the hardest hit areas in Elkhart, Kosciusko, LaGrange and Newton counties.
Currently, the number of affected customers is under 20,000, with 580 individual repairs that need to be addressed, including 60 broken poles, downed trees and power lines, among other damage.
Restoration efforts are expected to extend into tomorrow for some of the hardest hit areas. NIPSCO also expects to have a better estimate for restoration times later this afternoon.
NIPSCO understands that any service outage is an inconvenience and thanks its customers for their patience and understanding during its restoration efforts.
After A Storn
If your area is affected by a storm, be sure to stay clear of any fallen power lines. If you spot a fallen line, report it to the police and call NIPSCO’s 24-hour customer service line at (800) 4- NIPSCO. If you are experiencing a power outage that has not yet been reported, please report it through one of our channels:
- Text: Text the word “Out” to 444111*
- Online: NIPSCO.com
- Mobile Device: m.nipsco.com
- Phone: 1-800-4-NIPSCO
Additionally, please continue to stay informed. Follow local news and NIPSCO for up-to-date information. NIPSCO will also provide updates regarding the number of customers currently affected, where outages are located and when power is expected to be restored, using the following channels:
- NIPSCO.com/Alerts: Sign up for power outage alerts to receive outage updates, including estimated restoration times, via text, email or phone.
- NIPSCO.com/Out: Find current information on the status of power outages and estimated restoration times.
- m.nipsco.com: View the same outage map and details on NIPSCO.com from your mobile device.
- Facebook.com/NIPSCO or twitter.com/NIPSCO: Follow NIPSCO’s progress through popular social media channels to view photos and power restoration updates.
Storm Safety Tips
- Avoid downed power lines, damaged poles and other hazardous situations. Always consider downed wires as energized and dangerous. Stay at least 30 feet away from the wire and call 911. Never use an object to move a downed wire.
- If a power line falls on your vehicle, call 911 and stay inside your vehicle. Warn others not to touch the vehicle and ask them to call for help. Only exit the vehicle if you’re in immediate danger.
- Before using any generator, be sure to read and follow the manufacturer’s instructions. Operate generators outside, positioning them in a well-ventilated area away from doors, windows and garages to avoid the potential of carbon monoxide entering your home. Use only outdoor-rated, grounded extension cords.
For more storm safety tips, visit NIPSCO.com/StaySafe.