AKRON — The majority of the Tippecanoe Valley school board meeting held on Monday, May 20, was spent honoring student and staff achievements.
For the first time in school history, a Tippecanoe Valley High School student was selected as a Regional Academic All-Star for the state of Indiana by the Indiana Association of School Principals. Shayleigh Shriver is the recipient of this honor.
“As part of the process, Shayleigh had to write an essay about her most influential educator, Kris Walker,” said TVSC Superintendent Blaine Conley. “Mr. Walker and Shayleigh attended a ceremony for all Indiana Academic All Stars at the Indiana Roof Ballroom on April 25. Shayleigh’s transcripts, letters of recommendation and class rank were also used to determine her for this prestigious award. Great job Shayleigh.”
The staff members supporting Akron Elementary Student Council were the recipients of two separate awards. Student Council President Maci Parker nominated her advisors and administrator to be recognized for their hard work.
Student Council Advisors Ryan Adams and Sydnie Reed were named Indiana Elementary Student Council Advisors of the Year. Akron Elementary School Principal Chrissy Mills was named the Indiana Association of Student Council’s Administrator of the Year.
Jenny Higgins was honored as this year’s World Class Teacher for TVSC. Higgins is a speech pathologist at Akron Elementary who “goes beyond her speech classroom to help students be successful.”
David Anweiler was honored as a Pillar Award winner. Anweiler has served as Mentone Elementary’s head custodian for the last three years. It was noted that Anweiler has committed himself to making the school a clean and healthy environment for students and staff members.
Senior Dylan Wood was honored for serving as school board student liaison for the past two years. Monday’s meeting was his last school board meeting as he is graduating. After graduation, Wood is headed to North Carolina on a scholarship for the Navy ROTC program.
In other news:
- Various donations via Donors Choose were accepted for a metal storage cabinet, a cordless vacuum, rocking chair, chest freezer and light table. A Walmart grant of $300 was also accepted for the functional skills class.
- Owners Cliff and Cindy Zehr of Kerlin Bus Sales donated preschool seat restraints to the school. The donation allows preschool classes to travel on field trips safely.
- The board approved the hiring of Inga Omondi, Digital Integration Specialist, TVSC.
- The board accepted the resignation of Melissa Hall, cook at TVHS; Monica Vick, custodian at TVHS; Vera Whitted, custodian at Akron Elementary; Daniel James, mental health therapist at TVSC; Baylee Hibshman, math teacher at TVHS; Rolanda Reichard, cook at TVHS; Jon Hutton, JV volleyball coach at TVHS; Jennifer Hallstrom, fifth grade girls’ volleyball coach at Mentone Elementary; and Laren Molinari, assistant swim coach at TVHS.
- Tippecanoe Valley High School graduation is on Sunday, June 2, with the Baccalaureate at 2 p.m. and commencement at 2:45 p.m.
- The next regular meeting of the school board is 6 p.m. Monday, June 17, at Mentone Elementary School.