PIERCETON — Michele Smith, chief academic officer for Marion Community Schools, was announced as Pierceton Elementary School’s new principal during the Whitko School Board meeting held Monday, May 20.
Smith has worked as a chief academic officer for four years and also worked as a principal for four years.
“I’m really excited to work for this team and I’ve heard a lot of great things about the Pierceton family,” said Smith. “I love teaching and learning, and I can’t wait to get started. I really look forward to getting to know everyone and working at such a wonderful school.”
Whitko School Corporation Superintendent Dr. Brandon Penrod said approximately 40 people applied for the position.
“I think that’s commendable for this particular school,” said Penrod. “I’ve had people tell me that some school districts are lucky to get five or six applicants for a position like this, but certainly never 40. That’s outstanding and says a lot about the reputation of our district.”
In other business, the board watched two Project Lead The Way stop-motion animation projects by sixth graders. The two presentations used Lego and clay figures to tell stories. The board also heard presentations from Pierceton Elementary School third graders. Students were assigned to research historical figures and create tri-fold posters with information on them.
South Whitley Elementary School Principal Bryan Emmert also recognized sixth grader Cassidy Skinner. On May 9, Skinner competed in a national archery competition in Louisville, Ky., and placed first out of 313 sixth-grade girls in the tournament.
The board also reminded the public that the Whitko Jr./Sr. High School’s commencement ceremony will take place at 7 p.m. Friday, May 31.
The following students were recognized at the meeting as students of the month at their schools in the school corporation:
- Savanna Bradley, Pierceton Elementary School
- Marshall VanMeter, South Whitley Elementary School
- Jillian Starkweather, Whitko Jr./Sr. High School
- Evan Wilson, Whitko Jr./Sr. High School
In other business, the board:
- Approved the continuation of Matt Long’s appointment to the South Whitley Community Public Library board.
- Approved the continuation of the school corporation’s contract with the town of South Whitley for the employment of School Resource Officer Timothy P. Clark.
- Approved the retirements of the following teachers: Peg Dyer, South Whitley Elementary School; Steve Schultz, Whitko Jr./Sr. High School; Bryan Sprunger, WJSH; Amy Richards, WJSH; Betty Overdeer, WJSH; Susie Trixler, WJSH teacher; and Tanya Gill, WJSH.
The board’s next meeting will take place at 6:30 p.m. Monday, June 17, at the Whitko administration office.