WINONA LAKE — The 16th annual Fat & Skinny Tire Fest is taking place this weekend, bringing community members and tourists together over a shared love of biking.
The event began Friday, May 17, with an opening ceremony and critical mass ride, and continues through Sunday. President of KCV Cycling Club Greg Demopoulos is one of the founders of the festival.
According to Demopoulos, the first year of the event there were 30 volunteers assisting in organizing the event. This year there are 254.
The weekend events include road and mountain bike races, tours, family activities and events for kids, cycling instructions and demonstrations, live music and food and drink vendors.
Events and times for the rest of the weekend (weather permitting) are listed below.
SATURDAY, MAY 18
- 4-9 p.m. Live Music by Lalo Cura & Unlikely Alibi – Village at Winona
- 5:30 p.m. 4X (Four Cross), Short Track XC, & BMX Races – Hire Park
- 8 p.m. Robbie Gast “Ride On” Award – Village at Winona
SUNDAY, MAY 19
- 7 a.m. Zimmer Biomet Road Criterium Registration – Village at Winona
- 9 a.m. Info Booth and Kids Registration Opens – Village at Winona
- 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Zimmer Biomet Road Criterium Races – Village at Winona
8:30 a.m. Juniors
9:05 a.m. Masters 40+
10 a.m. Juniors 14-18
10:45 a.m. Men Cat 5
11:25 a.m. Men Cat 4
12:15 p.m. Women Cat 4/5
12:55 p.m. Men Cat 3/4
1:50 p.m. Women Cat 1/2/3
2:45 p.m. Men Pro Cat 1/2/3
- 10 a.m. Inflatables and Mad Anthony’s Beer Garden Opens – Village at Winona
- 10 a.m. Group Trail Ride With Professional Mountain Biker, Jeff Lenosky – Trailhouse Village Bicycles
- 1 p.m. Group Trail Ride With Professional Mountain Biker, Jeff Lenosky – Trailhouse Village Bicycles
- 4 p.m. Ortho Cup Corporate Challenge Cruiser Race Qualifying (4 laps per team rider) – Village at Winona
- 4:30 p.m. Kids Races (Ages: Striders & TW/4-5/6-7/8-9/10-12) – Village at Winona
- 4:45 p.m. Ortho Cup Corporate Challenge Cruiser Race Finals (4 laps per team rider) – Village at Winona
- The Sleepovers – Downtown Warsaw
- Lalo Cura & Unlikely Alibi – Village at Winona