SILVER LAKE — A mobile office providing vouchers and financial assistance for prescription medications, medical supplies and emergency dental assistance may soon be making a stop in Silver Lake on a monthly basis.
Angie Summers, director at Medication & Dental Assistance, Warsaw, attended the Silver Lake town council meeting held Wednesday, May 8, to share information about the mobile service.
The Medication & Dental Assistance office is located at the K21 Health Services Pavilion on Provident Drive in Warsaw.
“It houses a lot of nonprofit organizations under the same roof, which is very convenient for a lot of individuals,” said Summers. “However, we do know that our county is very large and we don’t have great access for public transportation so for a lot of individuals, to be able to get to us has been pretty problematic.”
Through grants from K21 Foundation and the Community Foundation, Summers said, they have been able to take the services offered in Warsaw and go out into the community with a mobile office. According to Summers, they currently have mobile sites set up in Mentone, Cromwell, North Webster and Syracuse.
“We’re looking for a site to be able to bring our office to Silver Lake to be able to reach the community here,” Summers said. She explained that they do not currently have a van or bus so they would be in need of a building to use when bringing their services to Silver Lake once a month.
Summers and council members agreed that the town hall building would work. It was suggested that 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on a Monday would work best. SL Clerk-Treasurer Tonya Conley stated she will contact Summers to set up a schedule.
The SL Fire Department dinner and auction fundraiser will be held from 4-7 p.m. Saturday, May 11, at the fire station. Items available at the auction include tickets to Indianapolis Motor Speedway, Holiday World, Fort Wayne Komets and Shedd Aquarium, gift cards to Four Winds Casino, Main View Inn and Cerulean, a massage at Expressions Salon & Day Spa, free oil changes (3) from Sorg Nissan and Lakeside Chevrolet, as well as many other items.
Darren and Teresa Martin informed council members that they recently purchased the former West Eel River Brethren Church, located at 979 SR 14, two miles east of Silver Lake.
The Martins plan to use the building as a community event center and will be renting it out for events such as weddings, family gatherings, reunions, open houses and birthday parties. They will be hosting singing groups every third Saturday of the month from March through October.
- Spring clean-up is scheduled for Saturday, May 18.
- A town garage sale is being planned for the weekend of July 12-13.
- The SL Fire Department annual golf outing will be held Sunday, June 30.
- A SL resident spoke at the meeting about trash in the back yard of a SL residence. The back yard, according to the resident, is full of wood, bicycles and old lawnmowers. The wood is not neatly stacked in a pile, the resident stated, but rather is scattered about the yard. SL Town Marshal Jason McGlennen stated he will look into this.
- Silver Lake Street and Sewer Superintendent JT Prater told council members he would like to have someone hired in a seasonal position to assist with installation of the new town water meters. Conley stated she will advertise for this position.
- An ordinance was approved with updated charges for water turn on/shut off. The ordinance amendment will be advertised, and the new fees will take effect 30 days following this.
- A quote from Hilltop Tree Service, Akron, in the amount of $7,295 was approved for removal of five trees.
- A quote from D&D Electric, Etna Green, in the amount of $6,832 was approved for a new electrical panel at the water plant.
- A quote from Airvac Inc., Rochester, in the amount of $13,800 was approved to rebuild a vacuum pump.
- Three SL residents qualified for water and/or sewer leak credits.
- The next regular meeting will be held at 7 p.m. Wednesday, June 12.