WINONA LAKE — Unity is the theme of the 67th annual observance of National Day of Prayer. Locally, the event will meet at noon Thursday, May 3, at the Winona Heritage Room, 901 Park Ave., Winona Lake, to pray for the community and the country.
Dr. William J. Katip will be this year’s keynote speaker. Katip has 40 years of college administration and teaching experience. His background includes college admissions, student life and academic affairs. He has held positions at several colleges and universities including Robert Morris University, Geneva College, Western Baptist College and Cornerstone University. In June 2007, Katip moved back to Indiana and became provost at Grace College and Seminary in Winona Lake. Katip accepted the role of presented for the institution in May 2013.
Music will be provided by the Grace Gospel Choir led by Aaron Scantlen. Richard Dick, who retired from teaching and directing music at Concord High School, will be at the piano.
Representatives from the community will be leading prayers for seven areas of focus including:
- Government – Warsaw Mayor Joseph Thallemer
- Ministry – Leesburg Grace Brethren Church Pastor Tim Spangle
- Military – Calvary Tabernacle Reverend Richard Maron
- Drug Crisis – Community Pastor at New Life Church and World Outreach Stoney Craft
- Family – Founder of Life Touch Ministry Darla France
- Business – DePuy’s Director of Biostatistics Jim Lesko
- Education – Associate Professor of education at Grace College Dr. Rachel Hoffert.
If you are not able to join in person at the event, please join in prayer from where you are at the time.