WARSAW — Kosciusko County Board of Zoning Appeals held its regular monthly meeting Tuesday morning, Feb. 13, in Warsaw. Among the agenda items were two petitions from Shawn Senter.
Senter’s first petition asked for an exception to allow a full service marina on commercially zoned property on Treasure Island Road, south of Rainbow Lane in Turkey Creek Township. His petition was approved with the conditions all development is shown on the site plan and there will be a review after one year.
The second petition asked for an exception to allow marina use on property zoned residential as recommended by the area planning commission. The property is located on Trusdell Avenue at the intersection with SR 13, south of Syracuse in Turkey Creek Township. As a condition to the approval, only one display boat will be allowed (Senter had requested two display boats) and there will be a one year review of the petition.
Other agenda items included:
• Janet Cassidy was granted a variance to permit the construction of a new residence 4 feet from the right of way and at the water’s edge on EMS B11 Lane at the Kuhn Lake Channel in Tippecanoe Township.
• Jack Keirn’s petition for an exception to allow change and alteration to a previously granted exception by allowing a separate owner to lease the buildings for a home based business was denied. Matt Sandy, assistant planning director for the county, noted Keirn had previously owned a home-based excavating business, but had sold it. He made a contract with the new owner to allow that owner to still operate the business from Keirn’s property, but that owner no longer owns the business. The property is located on CR 225S, east of Packerton Road in Wayne Township.
• DP & P was granted an exception to construct a storage building for a farm implement sales and service business in a commercial district on SR 15, north of Levi Lee Road in Plain Township.
• AR Engineering was granted a variance to allow 30 parking spaces for a retail business when the ordinance requires 91 spaces. This will be for a Dollar General store to be built on Black Point Road at the intersection with East Wawasee Drive in Turkey Creek Township.
• Vernon Lambright was granted a variance to permit the construction of a second story addition on an existing detached garage on EMS D8 Lane, south of CR 1000N in Van Buren Township. As a condition to approval, Lambright must obtain letters of support from the property owners to the north and west of his property.
• Larry and Kayla Metzger were granted a variance to allow a residence to be constructed 26 feet from the road right of way and 32 feet from the water’s edge. The property is located on CR 100N, southwest of Old Road 30 in Harrison Township.