SYRACUSE — Buddy, a 12-year-old German shepherd mix, is a hero.
A fire early Friday morning, Jan. 26, on North Rainey Road West, Syracuse, could have been worse for Roxann Arnott than losing her home, all of everything she owned. She could have lost her life.
Buddy, who sleeps on a comforter at the foot of her bed, began barking early Friday morning. It wasn’t his normal bark, but an aggressive bark and he jumped on top of Arnott, waking her because there was a fire at the home.
Because of Buddy, both he and Arnott were able to escape the home without injury. The fire was discovered at 1:05 a.m.
Arnott, who has a temporary place to stay, stated a popping noise was heard and when she opened the closed door to her bedroom, she wondered who had left the lights on. But it wasn’t lights. It was a fire. Her smoke alarms had yet to activate, but as soon as she opened the door to investigate, the smoke entered the home and the alarms began going off.
Arnott has had Buddy since he was 4 weeks old. “I rescued him,” she said. Like many dog owners, she knew his bark that morning was not usual. “He was real aggressive,” she said, which is not like him. Buddy is a dog who likes lots of love and gives it in return. He’s always been special to her and is even more special now.
While Arnott is currently staying at Oakwood Resort, Buddy is staying with her neighbors, a place he is familiar with. “He likes to be outside,” she said, noting he’s gone over to the property and sits in the yard, looking at what used to be their home. He’s still protecting his property. “He barks when someone comes and goes through things,” she said, noting it’s like he’s asking them what they are doing on his property.
“I’m completely overwhelmed by the outpouring of compassion and concern,” Arnott stated, adding it has been a humbling experience.