SYRACUSE — A man and his dog were able to exit their home without injury after noticing smoke and flames in the ceiling at the same time the smoke alarm was activated. The fire has been ruled as accidental due to an electrical malfunction.
Turkey Creek Fire Territory were called at 6:16 a.m. Monday, Jan. 15, to 105 N. Pecan St., Syracuse. When firefighters arrived, heavy smoke was observed from the attic vents and along the roof line of the structure . No flames were visible from the exterior.
Additional manpower was provided by the North Webster Fire Department and a mutual aid tanker was provided by Benton Township Fire Department. Milford Fire Department was placed on standby.
The fire was extinguished at 7:18 a.m. with an estimated $50,000 damage to the home and contents. The owners of the home are Billy and Brenda Hall. Billy Hall was home at the time of the fire.
Fire crews cleared the scene at 9:28 a.m.
There were no reported injuries to any firefighter.