CROMWELL — A fire that destroyed a family home Thursday afternoon, Jan. 4, at 9576 E. Pixie Parkway, Cromwell, has been ruled accidental due to combustible material too close to an appliance.
The home, owned by Arturo Mendoza, was occupied by Andrea Lopez. Lopez, one other adult and three children, ages 13, 10 and 1, were reported to be inside the structure at the time of the fire. All occupants were able to get out of the structure and were accounted for with no reported injury. The family is staying with relatives and the American Red Cross is assisting the family with clothing and other needs.
Turkey Creek Fire Territory responded to the fire at 2:15 p.m. Upon the arrival of the first fire department personnel, the structure was noted to be fully engulfed with fire. Additional manpower and additional water supply was provided by North Webster, Cromwell and Ligonier fire departments. Tanker assistance, providing water for fighting the fire, was provided by all four departments.
The fire was brought under control at 2:44 p.m. with the structure and contents noted to be a total loss. Damage was also sustained to a nearby structure at 11926 N. Raggedy Ann Road, owned by Gail Mast, as a result of exposure to heat from the fire.
Damages to both structures and contents are estimated between $40,000 and $50,000.
There were no injuries to firefighters and the last fire crews cleared the scene at 4:39 p.m.