Warsaw Man Sentenced In December 2013 Assault

WARSAW — A man charged with a 2013 Christmas Eve assault was finally sentenced today, Oct. 12, in Kosciusko Superior Court I with Judge David Cates presiding.

Quentin Keith Latham, 34, Warsaw, had previously pleaded guilty to aggravated battery, a class B felony.

Latham’s attorney Scott Lennox stated before the court that the plea should have stated guilty but mentally ill, as Latham is schizophrenic.

On Dec. 24, 2013, officers with the Warsaw Police Department responded to a battery call at Marathon Pak-A-Sak, located at 330 E. Center St., Warsaw. A Pak-A-Sak employee had witnessed Latham assault a Pepsi employee who was at the convenience store stocking product.

Prosecuting attorney Katy Hampton talked of Latham’s serious criminal history and prior violent offenses. According to available Indiana records, Latham was convicted of criminal confinement in Marshall County in 2013.

Latham admitted he was off of his medication the day the incident occurred, claiming to have gone to the Bowen Center and the Kosciusko County Sheriff’s Department for help before the incident occurred. Latham stated that the voices in his head told him the man was going to kill him so he attacked him.

“I just tried to protect myself,” said Latham. “It was a maze in my head.”

Cates sentenced Latham to 13 years at the Indiana Department of Corrections, three of those years suspended to be served on probation. Latham will receive 1210 days credit for time served.

 

Comments

Comments

Stacey Page Online Feed Facebook: social networking Twitter Linked in: Professional contact information Google+: Real-life sharing rethought for the web Print Friendly and PDF

Comments are closed.