Dog Dies In Syracuse House Fire

SYRACUSE — The Turkey Creek Fire Territory was responding to a fire alarm at the Wawasee Middle School located at 8:30 a.m. this morning, May 18. While units were responding to the alarm, a second fire call was dispatched at 8:32 a.m. for a possible structure fire near SR 13 and Trusdell Avenue that was reported by a passerby. The passerby witnessed smoke coming from the roof of the structure.

Units responding to the fire alarm from Station 1  were traveling south on SR 13 north of the reported location of the structure fire while another unit from Station 2 was traveling to the fire alarm from the east of the fire alarm location. The units from Station 1 that were north of the reported structure fire diverted from the fire alarm arrived at the scene of the reported structure fire in less than 30 seconds while the unit from Station 2 arrived at the scene of the fire alarm at the Wawasee Middle School at basically the same time. 

Upon arrival at the scene of the reported structure fire, smoke was seen coming from the structure located at 11515 N. SR 13. The North Webster Fire Department was requested for mutual aid with additional manpower to the structure fire while tankers were dispatched from both the North Webster Fire Department and the Milford Fire Department for mutual aid.

A neighbor reported that the occupant of the structure was not at home but that a dog was possibly inside of the structure. The dog was quickly located inside of the structure by firefighters and was found to be deceased.

The fire alarm at the Wawasee Middle School was found to be a false alarm due to a faulty detector in the alarm system and the unit from Station 2 cleared that scene at 8:40 a.m. and responded to the scene of the structure fire with additional manpower.

The event at the structure fire was brought under control at 8:47 a.m. with extensive heat and smoke damage throughout the structure. A smoke detector was noted inside of the structure, although it is not known whether or not it was functioning initially during the event as it was heavily damaged by extensive heat during the event. The cause of the fire has been ruled as accidental.

The occupant of the structure at 11515 N. SR 13 is Sherwood Tom and the owner of the structure is B & E Properties, LLC.

Assistance was provided by the North Webster Fire Department the Milford Fire Department, the Kosciusko County Sheriff Department and the Syracuse Police Department. The American Red Cross is providing assistance to the occupant.

Firefighters cleared the scene at 9:57 a.m.  with no reported injuries to firefighters.

      

Comments

Comments

Stacey Page Online Feed Facebook: social networking Twitter Linked in: Professional contact information Google+: Real-life sharing rethought for the web Print Friendly and PDF

Comments are closed.