SYRACUSE — A working smoke detector awakened the occupant at 706 North St., Syracuse, early today, Friday, May 12, saving his/her life. The unidentified occupant was however, treated at the scene for possible smoke inhalation. One dog and three cats did perish as a result of the fire. One dog and one cat did survive the fire.
Turkey Creek Fire Territory was called out at 3:50 a.m. for a report of a structure fire, believed to be in the kitchen area at the residence. Heavy smoke was reported at the scene prior to the fire department’s arrival. The occupant had exited the home prior to the arrival of firefighters.
The fire was brought under control 10 minutes after the initial call with an estimated $20,000 in damages to the structure and contents of the home. The fire was contained to the kitchen area with smoke damage throughout the residence. The fire has been ruled as accidental.
The home is owned by Carl Coley.
Assistance at the scene was provided by Syracuse Police Department and the American Red Cross provided assistance to the occupant.
Firefighters cleared the scene at 5:40 p.m. There were no injuries to firefighters.
The Turkey Creek Fire Territory would like to remind everyone to make sure that you have operational smoke detectors in your home and that you test your smoke detectors a minimum of once monthly.