WARSAW —Mayor Joe Thallemer was present at the monthly library trustees board meeting April 10 to congratulate the library on it’s 100th birthday taking place this week. In congratulations, Thallemer read a proclamation declaring 2017 as the year of the library.
“The most important thing is here we are at 100 years, and you guys have done a fabulous job keeping things moving up and ahead,” stated Thallemer.
The proclamation outlined the library’s history, beginning in 1914 when 12 women’s organizations met at the Methodist Church to secure a Carnegie building to meet the growing community’s needs. In 1915, The Warsaw City Council passed a resolution to take over the library, which was house in the basement of Center Ward School building, and the first Library Board was appointed. In 1916, a Carnegie grant of $15,000 was received and in 1917, a 6,134 square feet building was constructed. At this point the library contained 5,000 books.
In the 1960’s the name was changed to Warsaw Community Public Library and an addition of 8,833 square feet was built. Construction on the current 41,000 square feet facility was started in August 1996, with a grand opening held September 13, 1998.
“And, whereas, currently 20,000 library members access 219,532 physical and digital items, valued at over $4.4 million. 41,000 sq ft library,” the proclamation stated.
The open house birthday will be held today, April 11, from 3-7 p.m.
In other business:
- The library’s Collection Development Policy was updated and approved without much discussion. It was last reviewed November 2000.
- Employee Privileges Policy was updated and approved.