WARSAW — Kosciusko Leadership Academy member Tori Perry is seeking the public’s opinion of having a public pool in Kosciusko County.
Every year, the KLA experience culminates with a White Paper Project. Students form teams and research relevant community issues and needs. Class members then propose workable solutions in a forum of peers and community leaders.
Perry’s group has decided on a community pool as their White Paper Project. She states that, “Kosciusko County has many beautiful lakes, however, not everyone can enjoy them due to health reasons, not having the proper access, e-coli issue causing the lake to be closed or other possible reasons.”
She further points out that the closest surrounding pools are in Whitley, Allen and Fulton counties, and that these pools do not meet the needs for our community. Perry also suggests that a community pool would benefit Kosciusko as a community in more than just swimming.
Some suggested uses are:
- Provide a great place for everyone from all ages around the community and surrounding communities to gather during the summer for a safe, fun and healthy recreational place.
- Provide employment for high school/college kids in the summer.
- Serve as the base for most summer activities in the community.
- Support other summer programs such as the school’s summer recreation, free lunch program and fundraiser.
- Teen parties, baseball and softball gatherings can be held at the pool.
- Potentially coordinated with the school board for swim team practices.
- Church picnics.
- High school senior parties and community service projects.
- Fitness enjoyment for all ages –
- Allow kids to get outside more in the summer instead of staying inside playing video games.
- Cooler temperature for elderly.
- Physical Therapy use.
- “Mommy and Me” classes.
Perry and her group want to know if you would be interested in this kind of facility in our county. Give them your feedback with this survey.
For more information on KLA, see their website.