WARSAW — Rose Home was granted an exception for a group home for women and children in transition by the hearing officer of the Kosciusko County Board of Zoning Appeals Monday, Feb. 13.
The group home will be in a former bed and breakfast facility on SR 13, south of Ideal Beach and also near the South Shore Golf Club, south of Syracuse. Women and children leaving the main facility of Rose Home north of Syracuse will stay at the group home for up to a full year in a time of transition in their lives.
Matt Sandy, assistant planning director for the county, said as a condition of approval a privacy fence must be installed if so requested by South Shore Golf Club. He noted there is an unplatted right of way between the golf course and the site of the group home.
Agenda items considered by the BZA Tuesday, Feb. 14, included:
• Richard Reimschisel was granted a variance to permit construction of a residence addition, a covered porch, on South Shore, east of SR 13 in Turkey Creek Township.
• Isabell Vinci was granted a variance to allow a residence accessory building to remain 14 feet from the water’s edge on EMS C22 Lane at Little Chapman Lake in Plain Township, but the structure must remain open.
• Armstrong Holdings was granted an exception to allow a gas station on commercially zoned property on the west side of SR 13 at the intersection with CR 500N in Tippecanoe Township. Armstrong Holdings was also granted a variance to allow 45 parking spaces when the ordinance requires 47 and also to allow a dumpster enclosure.
• Jonathan and Ashley Balmer were granted an exception for the purpose of allowing a second residence, an apartment above a garage in a residential district on EMS W23 Lane at the intersection with Backwater Road in Tippecanoe Township.
• Mast Properties was granted an exception for a home based business, Mast Service Center (servicing trucks and agricultural equipment) on SR 19 in Scott Township.
• Jeffrey Turner was granted an exception to construct an oversized accessory building on a tract without a residence on a tract created without road frontage on the north side of an unknown easement, west of EMS C28E Lane in Plain Township.
• Shane Wallace’s petition to allow a home occupation business (plumbing, heating and air conditioning) on Koher Road at Papakeechie Lake in Turkey Creek Township was tabled until March. He has outside storage presently, which is not allowed by the ordinance, so the petition was tabled to allow him time to come up with a solution.
• Christopher Bragan was granted a variance to allow a residence accessory, a garage, to be constructed 20 feet from the east right of way on EMS W18A Lane in Tippecanoe Township. The garage must be in line with the house.