WARSAW — Sheriff Aaron Rovenstine approached the commissioners at today’s commissioner meeting, Tuesday, Dec. 20, to clarify a request he made at the previous meeting for an automated phone system due to non-emergency, after hour phone calls being answered by 911 dispatch. The sheriff clarified that he was referring to non-law enforcement agencies.
He asked that they move forward with the automated system, along with an offer to provide data and statistics in regard to the system.
Marsha McCleary advised the commissioners on her findings related to the cost of the automated system. A motion was made by Ron Truex to approve the automated phone system and the motion was seconded and approved.
The commissioners thanked the 911 dispatch workers who were in attendance at the meeting for the “outstanding” job they do and praised the performance of the entire 911 dispatch team, commenting that dispatch has always received the over rings for all extensions and that it has been an added load to them, which they have handled well.
In other news:
- Marsha McSherry stated that courthouse security cameras have been installed and are operational. The cameras will be monitored by a security committee and will eventually be monitored at the dispatch center.
- Chad Miner discussed Hillside property, which was addressed earlier in the year. Miner recommended that the property be reset for sale. He explained that the property is to be sold in two tracts. Bob Conley made a motion to approve this and the motion was seconded and approved.
- Chad Miner brought in his contract renewal with a 2 percent increase. Motion was made to approve Miner’s contract. Motion was seconded and approved.
- Dan Richard presented plans and a request for rezoning two properties located in Nappanee. Five acres of the Yoder tract and 30 acres of the Cornerstone tract are requesting to be zoned commercial. They are currently zoned residential. A motion was made to accept plans as presented. Motion was seconded and approved.
- Robert Sanders invited the commissioners to attend the next county counsel meeting on January 12, 2017.
- The next regular meeting will be held Jan. 10, 2017.