FORT WAYNE — The Fort Wayne Children’s Zoo will open its gates for the 38th Wild Zoo Halloween this week. The event will be held Oct. 14-16, 20-23 and 27-31.
Each day of the event will be “theme days” that feature separate events apart from the traditional trick-or-treating, mini maze, animal sculptures made out of pumpkins, and children-friendly activities.
Highlights of the upcoming weekend include:
- Friday, Oct. 14 – “PLUMPkin” Day. A super-sized pumpkin will be on display, and the guest who correctly guesses the pumpkin’s weight will win a prize.
- Saturday, Oct. 15 – Princess Day. Princess characters and ballerinas will charm zoo guests from 1-4 p.m. at various locations within the zoo.
- Sunday, Oct. 16 – Mascot Day. Meet local mascots from 2-4 p.m. including Icy (Komets), Johnny (Tin Caps), Don the Mastodon (IPFW), and more. The Fort Wayne Children’s Zoo’s own Sydney the Kangaroo Mascot will also be out to greet guests.
- Oct. 20 – Free Train Rides
- Oct. 21 – Pumpkin Stomp & Chomp – Animals get pumpkin treats
- Oct. 22 – Local Hero Day – Meet local fire, police, and military from 1-3 p.m.
- Oct. 23 – Star Wars Day – Meet Star Wars characters from 1-3 p.m.
- Oct. 27 – Cans for Conservation – Bring an empty aluminum can and get a free train ride ticket
- Oct. 28 – Scavenger Hunt
- Oct. 29-30 – Truck & Tractor Weekend
- Oct. 31 – Pumpkin Decorating Workshop – Decorate a mini pumpkin to take home